Like anyone who prepares meals every night of the week, I don’t always have time to languish over a pot of soup. Some days, there’s just not time for all the chopping and dicing and stirring required. If you feel my pain, you’ll appreciate how fast this black bean soup comes together. Classic flavor reigns with the cilantro, red bell pepper, and cumin. Optional toppers, aside from the yogurt (or sour cream, if you’re so inclined), include some shredded pepper jack cheese, a dash of hot sauce to kick it up a notch, or some baked tortilla chips. My only qualm with the recipe was it didn’t make enough to put it to the “yesterday’s soup” test. We all know things like this taste even better the next day. But this one tasted pretty darn good the first day! Nonetheless, next time I’m going to double the batch to insure some leftovers.
Also, this soup is only a couple of substitutions away from being a perfectly acceptable vegetarian meal: swap out the chicken stock for veggie stock, and bulk it up with tofu or more beans. Personally, I’d go with the beans. Tofu is just…well. Tofu is just tofu. However you make this your own, you’re sure to enjoy!!
Easy Black Bean Soup (recipe adapted from: Cooking Light Superfast Suppers)
- 1/4 c onion, chopped
- 1/4 c red pepper, chopped
- 1 low-fat turkey kielbasa (Hillshire Farms), cut into pieces
- 1 15 oz can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 oz can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp basil/garlic/oregano flavored tomato paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp reduced -fat Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Place non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and pepper; saute 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add chopped sausage, beans, and chicken broth to onion mixture. Stir in tomato paste and cumin; bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until soup is slightly thickened.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls; dollop each serving evenly with yogurt, and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with home-made tortilla chips (optional).