Recipe Courtesy: Cooking Light, January 2012
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 16 slices pepperoni, coarsely chopped (I opted for turkey pepperoni this time)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon’s)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I use whole mozz, sliced)
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano; cook 30 seconds. Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning after 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.