This salad was super light and delicious on a hot summer day. Tomatoes and cucumbers are at their peak now and a very simple rice vinegar dressing put their flavors at center stage. Prep is quick and easy, and it’s a perfect end-of-summer dish to celebrate all that’s good to eat and locally sourced this time of year. Eat this salad right away, though. It really doesn’t keep well overnight. Enjoy!
Tomato Onion and Cucumber Salad (recipe courtesy Eating Well)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, chives and/or tarragon
- Whisk vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper in a large shallow bowl.
- Remove alternating stripes of peel from the cucumbers. Slice the cucumbers into thin rounds. Add the cucumber slices, tomatoes and onion to the dressing; gently toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add herbs and toss again.