One of the pizzas we make at home most often is a stripped down Hawaiian pizza: ham and pineapple. It’s Kat’s favorite pizza, i.e., the only one she’ll eat. But our adult palates often crave something more than ham and pineapple. A friend made this pizza for us about four years ago, and it’s been my alternative pizza ever since. This pie is heaping with healthy, flavorful and delicious ingredients. It’s a chicken-veggie-nutty-tangy (the vinaigrette is fantastic) sensory delight: a feast for the belly and the eyes, because it’s not only yummy, but drop dead gorgeous, too.
The original recipe calls for a pre-baked Boboli crust, but I use the frozen, unbaked pizza dough from Sprouts Farmers Market here in Scottsdale. After thawing and rolling my dough, I pre-baked it for about 10 minutes. Then I removed it from the oven, added the toppings, and finished baking per the recipe. You could easily do this pizza on the grill, as well. Enjoy!
- 12-inch whole wheat Italian bread shell
- 2 cups whole fresh baby spinach leaves
- 8 ounces skinless chicken breast, cooked and sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons walnuts or pine nuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed, or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place bread shell on a large baking sheet. Top with spinach, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, nuts, oregano, and rosemary. Drizzle with Red Wine Vinaigrette. Bake in a 400°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
Red Wine Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine vinegar and shallot. Let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in mustard. Add oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Whisk in kosher salt and pepper. Use immediately or cover and chill for up to 3 days before using. If chilled, let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes; whisk before using.