My local organic market is brooming the summer fruits, what’s left of them. They had an awesome deal on raspberries the other day so I picked up 5 or 6 boxes. Although we go through them pretty fast just eating them out of hand, they turn quickly. And the last thing I want is a box of moldy fruit – even if I got it for a song. This recipe was a perfect way to use up some of that fruit, as well as put something sweet and homemade into Kat’s lunchbox this week. They’re easy to make and really delicious. So delicious you’ll wish you hadn’t promised to put them in the lunchbox all week, which is what I’ve been reminded any number of times. Enjoy!
Oatmeal Raspberry Bars
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam (I used Crofter’s Fruit Spread)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Heat oven to 375° F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt to combine. Add the butter and pulse just until the dough comes together. Transfer to a bowl and gently knead in the oats.
- Press all but 1/2 cup of the dough into the prepared pan. Spread the jam evenly over the dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edges. Scatter the raspberries over the jam and sprinkle with the remaining dough.
- Bake until the edges are golden, 25 to 28 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.